Wednesday 22 August 2012

1st     August   Camped at the Bark hut  hotel and campground very touristy and expensive .Into Kakadu national park Couzens lookout and this is one of those gems you stumble across the river has crocodiles gliding past and birdlife every where . A jabiru walked past us only 3 m away these birds are big about I metre in height . Brians creek monsoon forest its like an oasis and has an old fig tree that has weathered storms and floods with the scars to prove it . Obirr rock  and some very detailed aboriginal art work and we catch the sunset  .Some of the views look familiar as scenes from Crocodile Dundee were shot here .
2nd      August      Obirr rock again for the ranger talks explaining paintings and tribal law .Cahills crossing and as the tide comes up over the causeway so do the crocodiles and barramundi . There are about ten of them but you never know as they can stay under water for a couple of hours . People fish here because the best barramundi fishing is where the crocs are . Crocs have averaged one human per year for the last fifteen years in the whole of Australia so there a lot safer than cars . Nourlangie rock for some more interesting artwork and a ranger talk  . Nourlangie lookout and billabong for some great photos .
3rd     August     Muirella camp we walked the billabong track there was lots of birds early morning and a feral pigly wigly that I chased for a bit of fun . Sandy billabong for lunch and a fellow traveller tells us that 50m away is a croc so we wander over for a look . At first I cant find it in the long grass so I head for a tree stump only to find he was on the other side he let out a growl and then shot into the water and I shot up the stump. Jim Jim falls 40km of dirt road and then 10km of rough track . The walk to the water fall was a rock scramble and Josie fell over four times I found out later as I was already at the falls  .Gumlom falls and plunge pool and another rock scramble to the top of the escarpment to the plunge pool  . Lots of back packers here i swam up the small gorge to where the water  fell into the gorge and it was very scenic with deep holes scoured into the rock  .
5th     August   Adelaide river country music festival at the ARSS club Adelaide river  show society  some great singers and some not so great but all up a great day . Left music festival for Katherine and all accommodation along the way is fully booked  so we arrive in Katherine at 11 30 pm and end up sleeping in the car
6th    August  Morning swim at katherine springs and im feeling less like a homeless person .Enjoying my swim and this woman with a dog stops to chat that’s good . Until I notice she is holding a bag of doggy poo she is completely unaware of the weapon that she is holding I try not to panic  so I move close to the steps and put my hand on the rail . Without taking my eyes of it the whole time she could drop it in the water at any time . Eventually she leaves and I immediately start to relax she walks past a wheelie bin and doesn’t throw it in disgusting why would anyone carry doggy poo any longer than you have to Im feeling sick . Breakfast at Mcdonalds and we get swamped by some aboriginal kids on a school trip and there such a happy and well behaved group . Cutta cutta caves with Ethan our guide this cave is not as impressive as others we have seen but our guide makes it interesting with his style of  story telling and jokes . Bitter springs for a swim these ones are crystal clear and lined with pandanus palms a very tropical look .Talking to Josie until 1 30 am and she wants to go to bed and asks me to stop talking I deserve a gold medal for that I must be the first person to out talk Josie . I would like some recognition for such an achievement .
7th  August   Mataranka springs about 5km upstream from Bitter springs and an early morning swim with the oldies  , we watch the movie We of the never never a story based on the lives of a family living at Mataranka  . An afternoon swim and chat with oldies again Josie not feeling well has a sore throat I think sore loser .Went to bed and after about half an hour  two agile wallabies slept up against the tent one at my feet and one at my head I patted them both through the tent . Josie was very jealous of my new furry friends and beat one up  .
8th  August   Morning swim at mataranka again and then down the road to Frans famous pies at Larramah what a character I think Fran is more famous than her cooking we stayed for a couple of hours and had a great time  and ate way to much .Daly waters pub no locals here only tourists  not really my scene .
9th       August     on our way to Borroloola we camp on the side of the Carpentaria highway at the site of a gas drill hole which is not capped so naturally I drop a rock down the well and wait for the sound of it hitting the bottom great fun .And then I have to put as large a rock as possible down and listen to the rush of air more fun and then I throw down six rocks and I hear a small explosion it just gets better . Borroloola and on to King ash bay I give fishing a try and as I cast I hear a horrible crack and the rod doesn’t feel right and as I watch my line I see the tip of the rod go out with it POO . So I reel it in and make my way to the bin  no barra today . 
10th         August        Doomagee for fuel and a look around town and then the drive to Adels grove at lawn hill  a swim on arrival after bouncing through the dust and  rough tracks . Cant find my car key I think this is the onset of stupid old fart syndrome I make sure Josie has hers before we lock up .
11    August   Lawn hill Upper gorge walk and a swim at Undarri falls we feed the fish  whilst laying in the sun . 50 kms down the road to Riversleigh fossil site D and we see some skeletons embedded in the limestone .
12th   August and it’s the Mt Isa rodeo the largest rodeo in the southern hemisphere this is great I love watching people willingly hurt themselves  . Watching the crowd and the police grab a bloke sitting in the back row four cops that look like the swat team he had  no chance . Back to the rodeo action and they have an over fifty five section you would think they would know better they make them tough in the country . Fred Brophys boxing troupe and its more like a slug fest freds boxers make up for a lack of talent by throwing some big hit’s a very exciting show and the crowd is going wild .
13th    August   Driving into Julia creek and its road kill number four and this one im proud of a feral cat crossing the road and I didn’t have to alter course or speed up it was too easy . If you say flat cat really fast that’s the same noise kitty makes when you hit him at 110 go on do it it will make you laugh .
14th   August      As we leave Julia creek we see half a dozen feral cats but there all running of the road word must have got out over night  . One particular cat was eating a dead roo and was as big as a cattle dog . Porcupine gorge and we go for a walk and swim there lots of fish and a tortoise in the creek .

No comments:

Post a Comment